Thursday, May 19, 2005

My boss seems to enjoy my company, and likes hanging out with me after work- catching up over a bagel. and I've realised that out of work (as in "after office hours", not as in "when he's unemployed"), he's a great guy.

Don't get me wrong. He's a great boss- but because he's a great boss, you don't neccessarily get to see My Boss- The Person as opposed to My Boss- The Boss.

Anyway, he recently divulged that out-of-work, he was actually quite an optimist.

I actually laughed in his face.

And no, I didn't commit political suicide. He doesn't mind. Like how he calls me a freak and announces that all Asian women are evil (his de facto is Asian so he's kidding) and I can tell him he has middle-child syndrome and that he obviously didn't have a very happy childhood.

Once I stopped to catch a breath, I catch a smile on his face.

"You're SMILING! YOU Never SMILE!" I gasp half in mock surprise, half in real surprise

"Well, not at work I'm not. I'm the world's most money-minded realist, but I am in other aspects of my life"



I kinda pooh-pah-ed it then, but this week over lunch he dropped this bombshell on me



He's in Melbourne for love.

He went through all the trouble of getting an Aussie visa (almost as difficult to get as the pot of gold at the end of the rainbow, Hello Kitty and Dear Daniel wedding plushes at a McDonald's queue in Singapore or pork floss buns from Breadtalk in Jakarta) and giving up a life he loved in London to move to what people commonly view as "the other end of earth" (no matter from where they're from) for love.

I stared at him in stunned silence.

"You don't approve" he half-smiled, it sounded more like a statement than a question.

"No, no..." I said thoughtfully

"I just think......it's.......a *really* big step to take in a relationship"

I smile at the memory of last week's conversation

"Man, you really are an optimist"

he smiles back

"or stupid."

I laugh.