Sunday, April 10, 2005

hush

Hush little baby don't say a word mama's gonna buy you a mocking bird. If that mocking bird don't sing mama's gonna buy you a diamond ring. If that diamond ring turns brass mama's gonna buy you a looking glass. If that looking glass gets broke mama's gonna buy you a billy goat. If that billy goat won't pull. Mama's gonna buy a cart and bull. If that cart and bull roll over. Mama's gonna buy you a dog named Rover. If that dog named Rover don't bark mama's gonna buy you a horse and cart if that horse and cart fall down. Don't forget your the greatest baby in town.

-the original words to Hush Little Baby

and here's Eminem's Mockingbird

****

It's amazing what the change in key from major to minor can do. It's one of the best known things in music- I learnt this when I was 6, without having undergone any music lessons at all. And yet to hear it used to such effect is still....heart-wrenching.

I woke up in a melancholy mood yesterday- perhaps due to a lack of sleep. Then switched rage on to find Mockingbird playing, and it made me so so sad.

Sad because the song is so sad, but also sad for his daughter. He sounds like he's trying his best and yet he's failing. And it's horrible.

I never want kids because I fear I will fail them.